Sunday, November 6, 2011

Liam's home birthday party

Originally I had planned on doing a crab shack themed party because I just thought it was adorable, but when it came time to finally do his birthday party at home it ended up that the date I chose was international talk like a pirate day. Ryan's family always gets together for this to have a nice pirate themed dinner so we combined the two and hosted the pirate dinner at our house. We got a great picture of all of us in our pirate attire on my mother in law, and sister in law's camera's but I have yet to get ahold of one of those.

Anyway, here is the original invite, before turned pirate...



Here's a picture of Ryan, Bella and Liam at least all dressed up!



This is the table, pre food. I really wanted a picture once all the food was on but once it was out, we were all starving and digging in. So this is the decorated table. All the decor came from Target marked down from 70-75% off! It was a steal! And I don't know if you can see on the right but there is a shark mobile that went quite nicely with this decor. I ordered it on clearance from Pottery Barn Kids thinking it would be awesome in Liam's room as a mobile above his bed....WRONG! It is huge! and hello!! sharks hanging above your bed might be a bit terrifying. I will for sure hang it at some point though.



These cupcakes are my favorite part of the crab shack ensemble. I found a similar party theme on a blog and they had a cake with these crabs on them and I adapted them to be on cupcakes that have "sand" on them for the top part and then did Shark fin's and a life preserver in "water" on the bottom ones. They turned out darling, and I couldn't have done it without my sister in law Sydnie. She is awesome at this kind of stuff, (baking, sewing, decorating, etc.) and she had a fabulous marshmallow fondant recipe she helped me make. I would have never made it on my own. It is quite meticulous and she had awesome tips for me, such as adding the coloring BEFORE the powdered sugar so it is easy to smoothly mix in! She also got the ball rolling on making the crabs as I was struggling to get started, AND she made the adorable life preserver! So I owe her big time...although I'm not sure what favor I could lend to her...she will have to make me aware of one someday! :)







So the blue canister had gummy sharks in it, which melted before anyone got there because it was so hot outside. So it was all a big huge gummy shark grave. SUCH a waste!





In case you can't tell in this picture, those are swedish fish peeking out of the "water" which is jello. It was supposed to be gummy lobsters, but I couldn't find any anywhere.



My Sister in Law Angie's family made these adorable pirate ship fruit bowls! Cute and yummy!







Liam kept clapping! He was having fun because everyone was paying attention to him... :) And I think he loved the crab on his cupcake!











1 comment:

Jer, Cheronne, Brayden, Abbey, Lincoln & Beckham said...

Happy Birthday Liam! Those cupcakes are so cute! Love them!